Saturday 5 April 2014

Angst and confusion

Is anyone else feeling this way about JRFM's new contest?

I wrote about it earlier in the week expressing my disappointment and sadness over the You Say It We Pay It contest. After the first two days it was clear that this was not going to be a feel-good type of contest...

In most radio contests there is an instant solution - you were either caller 9 or you weren't. You frantically dial your phone(s) and don't have time to think about What Ifs - what if you get through, what if you're not the right caller, what if you don't get through at all, what if you WIN?! There's no time for stewing, you just jump into action. And you know the results within minutes.

With this YSIWPI contest, there is ONLY time - time to wait for your name to be called, time to wait for voting to start, time to watch your votes rise (or more agonizingly, NOT rise). First it gives you hope, then like a lobster it lets you sit in the pot on the stove while the water slowly comes to a boil. You don't feel a thing and before you know it, you're cooked! Blech, that was a weird analogy!

Anyway, I'm sure you get what I mean. Unlike the "qualify for a trip to Stagecoach" contest, this one has nothing to do with luck. And that makes it more personal. We feel like we are being judged by strangers - it's like high school again!

- Is my hard-luck story not hard-luck enough for strangers to vote for me?
- did I sound like I didn't need the money when I spoke on air?
- did I make my entry too fun?
- don't I have enough friends who will vote for me?

Now that the voting has started, it's even worse. I feel bad voting for one and not the other, and that makes me not want to vote for anyone. After this first 12 hours of the voting phase, it is clear that Ryan will win - his story of fertility struggles touched us all deeply and we want he and his wife to have another chance at starting a family. And unlike some of the other entries, no one can help them with this journey. Only money will help, unless you own a fertility clinic!

So, while the other contestants watch the gap between their votes and Ryan's votes grow ever wider, how are they feeling? Do they feel like their story was frivolous? Do they feel undeserving? Do they feel pushed aside?

If YOU were one of the other contestants, I want you to know something: I think your story was equally deserving, and I hope someone steps up to help if you don't win.

Kaitlin - I hope somebody has a brand new bed in their garage that they aren't using.
Tina - I hope someone has extra Luke Bryan tickets.
Janet - I'm certain there are a dozen unused dirt bikes in garages waiting for riders.
Courtney - who owns a restaurant and can help with a nice dinner? And concert tickets?
Heather - anyone have one of those cool hockey beds or materials for building one?
Rhonda and Darcie - I hope a contractor steps up and brings a crew to your house one weekend!
Kimberly and Michael - someone with air miles could help these two.

If I had the means to help any of them - plastic surgery, BMX bike repairs, a new car - I would. And what's worse is knowing that NEXT week's entries will be equally heart wrenching and deserving! GAH!!!

This type of contest would be better around Christmastime, when people are feeling generous and looking for good deeds to perform. In the coming weeks there will be many opportunities for helping people out! Let's see...what could I help somebody out with...is anyone in need of slightly used baby or toddler clothes? Or a fish tank with 3 little silver fish that nobody feeds and the kids lost interest in a year ago? How about a used scooter bike (no pedals, for little kids). Not fancy but functional. Kinda like me! :D

I'm undecided on whether I will go back and vote more this weekend. Probably. I tend to pull for the underdog, so will likely vote for those with the lowest numbers because I don't want them to feel bad. But I think they probably already gave up the fight...

I love, love, LOVE JRFM! They do SO many good things, for their listeners AND their community! The country fans are among the world's most generous and caring people! I just wish they had made this a draw rather than a voting game. It would've been easier on all of us. It's nicer to know that the losing wasn't personal, just random. It's a softer blow to the ego...

4 comments:

  1. I don't like, appreciate, or entertain contests in which a station subjectively picks and chooses the winner. If they don't like you, your name, your voice, your wording, if you have a reputation, if you live in Point Grey, or if they think you have won too much in the past. A winner at any station that has a promotion like this one could be decided quickly by three people meeting in a lunch room quickly on a Friday afternoon afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. A draw would have been better. I selected my top ten, then drew a name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The radio station personnel have all the power. Why do you think they have so many on-line contests! They are always seeking new winners, they don't want the same 100 people winning 55% of the prizes. At Corus, you even have to take time off work and pick up your own prize, hows that for a warm and friendly way to treat their listeners.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I like what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the very good works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

    Try to check my blog: 부산오피
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete