Friday 3 January 2014

Did you hear what Karen did?!?!

Karen Daniels from JRFM's Waking Crew has simply lost her mind. She is opening up her vacation home to complete strangers! She (and presumably her husband) is going to spend 3 nights with Clay (and his wife Anne?), and two listeners and their spouses/partners/friends. Of course, I am going to apply, and here's why:

1) her home is in Phoenix Arizona. Friggin' Phoenix!!! I've never been there, always wanted to go, and will probably never get another chance to go there for FREE.

2) they have a pool. Presumably it's a private pool, but even if it's a community pool, it's a friggin' POOL!!! I haven't spent much time around pools and they always make me feel awkward, but I think the booze for breakfast might mask that...

3) booze. For breakfast. And lunch, and dinner, and midnight snack. Why? Because my children are at home, being lovingly cared for by an aunt/neighbour/friend/babysitter, and I've no reason to stay sober! Did I mention that my husband would go with me? All the more reason to drink! Not only is he a riot when he's sober, he's even funnier when I'm drunk!

4) George Strait concert. WHAAAAAAT?!?! Already an incredible trip is made incredible-er with a serenade by a Country Music Legend! With an astounding 60 hits to choose from, this will be a jaw-dropping, foot stomping, panty-tossing performance! I'd better wear pants...

5) the Waking Crew. I've always maintained that everybody's nice until you get to know them. Sure, that nice cashier at your regular stop is friendly for that 3 minutes you interact, but get past polite conversation and people's ugly begins to show. I am not good at hiding mine, but my husband tries so hard to hide his (AND mine, which makes it all the funnier!) But with Clay and Karen, we know what we're getting into. We've seen their under bellies, heard all their insecurities, idiosyncrasies, idols and idylls. We know how curmudgeonly Clay can get, and we know how nit picky Karen can be. It would be fun to watch them rub each other the wrong way after too much togetherness! 

Clay and Karen will read all of the applications and choose who they think would be the most fun on the trip. I imagine Karen will have the most say, as she is taking the biggest risk. The definition of fun varies, depending on who you ask. Clay's might go something like: likes to drink, is a good conversationalist, can BBQ like a chef, and appreciates good coffee. Karen's idea of a fun guest might sound more like: likes to drink, cook for others, clean up after themselves, lounge, and play cards. I'm so totally in Karen's wheelhouse. Totally. Clay may be a bit harder to charm, but if his wife comes it's a whole different ball game! Although, neither took their spouses on the previous year's sleepover, so maybe they aren't coming. Uh oh...

They will announce a winner on the 13th. One ad for the contest says they are looking for "two fun loving winners and their guests", but the other ad says they will choose "A" winner on the 13th. So I'm not sure if it will be one couple or two, though I was under the impression it was TWO when they were talking about it. Either way, GOOD LUCK! If it's not me, I hope it's YOU! And please blog/tweet/update us if you can - we'd love to hear YOUR side of the story!!!

Head on over to JRFM.com and sign in to your Online Insider account, then think of a fun reason they should take YOU with them. Got some great party tricks or ideas? Are you offering massages, facials, manicures? Do you dance, sing, tell wicked jokes? What've you got? I am terrified of being ordinary and disappointing them...

;)

2 comments:

  1. you deserve to win a spot!!!..what a hoot this trip would be!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story...I wish I had gone your route....mine was not that funny :( But, I sure can relate to you and your husband as we are the same way. And it's not often I get a chance to let go. Would Love to be there with you drinking some strip and go nakeds, (yes they are a drink) some harvey wallbangers, greyhounds, champagne and orange juice, special coffees...my husband is a good cook,neat freak, would Love to see me have some fun, (been awhile) , I am a great baker, awesome at giving massages, this would be a trip of a lifetime! Would Love to be that other couple that was to go with you! :) Good luck to you....hoping to be chosen and meet some great people and have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete