Tuesday 24 September 2013

September contests: Sonic and Rock 101

SONIC (Sonic Nation) is a hidden gem for me. I didn't listen to the Beat when Kid Carson was there, and only started listening to Sonic when he started there. Kid Carson and his crew are down to earth and seem like the kind of people I'd like to have a beer with. They are fun and current without being racy - I can listen to them when the kids are around. They are respectful and open minded, which I admire. But I digress...

This month Sonic has a 1K Double Play contest: on Mondays they tell you who is the artist of the week, then when they play two songs back to back by that artist, you have to be caller 10 when the second song starts. Caller 10 wins $1000. I NEED $1000!!! LOL! This is a great contest that keeps me following Sonic all day long (and consequently familiarizing me with songs I may not hear otherwise). Even if the songs have been played for that day, I still might tune in just because.

This week's artist is Bruno Mars. I loooooooove Bruno Mars! But they don't play him very often. For example, when Justin Timberlake was the artist of the week, they seemed to play his song very hour. But 3 hours can pass before they play Bruno! If I've been away from the radio, I check their website's Playlist to see if they've played the Double Play and I can scroll a whole page without seeing one Bruno Mars song.

Anyway, I love that this contest is fast cash. Sonic doesn't need a gimmick to keep me coming back. When they had $10,000 Thursdays and Beat countered with $15,000 Thursdays, it really made Beat look childish. And Kid can now stop saying "thanks for making the Sonic Switch" because anyone who was going to switch has already done so. I suspect Kid fans would follow him anywhere (yes, that includes me!)

ROCK 101 (Rock101.com)

Oh, Rock 101. What can I say? Not much, I'm afraid. Their current contest is an IQ Test. There are 5 questions, and with each correct answer the jackpot goes up, with the final prize being $1000. The questions get progressively harder, with the first ones common knowledge. Sometimes I find myself yelling answers at the radio! Ha ha! They play weekdays at around 8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, and 5 pm. Not usually on the hour, but more like quarter after the hour, or after a 5 minute run of commercials.

It's fairly easy to get through, but don't bother trying at the 11 or 2 spots unless you're male - host Robin Larose doesn't like to play with girls! I only say this because there was one time when I called in, and after getting a busy signal numerous times I finally got through. He told me I was caller 9. So I hang up and redial. Busy, busy, busy. Then I get through again, and he says "you're close! Keep trying!" And hangs up. Huh?? How could I be caller 9 and then NOT be caller 10?! So I started keeping track - he ONLY lets males play. Even though I get through almost every day, he always tells me I'm caller 6. Well, at least he's covering his ass - he can tell 5 callers in a row that they're caller 6, while he looks for a male player. Hello? Contest Police? Harrumph...

So I will try to play at the 5 pm hour, when it's harder to get through (their demographic is home from work by then) but at least I don't feel snubbed due to my gender.

If you disagree or can prove me wrong, I welcome your input. I don't want to dislike a DJ, and Robin sounds nice otherwise. Maybe he's just been hurt and shies away from women. Or else Corus has told him to only let guys play (???). Whatever.




No comments:

Post a Comment